LicenseSpring Fulfillment Installation Instructions - Feb 2021 Update
Last updated on February 26, 2021
Before You Start
These instructions assume the following:
- Your store is already set up for taking orders (e.g. you have configured Shopify Payments or another payment processor).
- You have an existing account with LicenseSpring (https://saas.licensespring.com).
- You have installed the LicenseSpring Fulfillment app into your store.
STEP 1 – Start Free Trial
- In Shopify Admin for your store, navigate to 'Apps', then select 'LicenseSpring Fulfillment'.
- On the 'Settings' page, you will see the following message:
- Click on 'Start free trial' to begin your free trial. You need to select a billing plan, but you will NOT be billed any usage or monthly charges until your free trial period is over.
STEP 2 – Add LicenseSpring Management API Key
You need to generate a LicenseSpring Management API Key. This allows the app to connect to LicenseSpring and provision licenses on your behalf.
You can do this in your LicenseSpring dashboard under ‘Account Settings’:
- In your LicenseSpring portal, navigate to 'Account Settings', and then select the 'Keys' tab.
- Click 'Generate new key' under 'Management API keys':
- IMPORTANT - Set the 'Read only' option to 'off'. Then, click the 'copy' icon to the right of the key:
- On the 'Settings' page in the LicenseSpring Fulfillment app, paste the Management API key in the 'LicenseSpring Management API key' section, and click 'Save changes':
STEP 3 – Configure Your Product(s)
You must now configure your product(s) for fulfillment .
- Navigate to any Product in your store using Shopify Admin.
- Under the 'Inventory' section*, use the following values:
- Inventory managed by: LicenseSpring Fulfillment
- SKU: <your Product code from LicenseSpring> **If you are using Product Features, please see below.
- Track quantity: <leave unchecked>
See below for example:
*NOTE: If you are using Variants in Shopify, this ‘Inventory’ section is on each Variant page, rather than on the Product page.
Using LicenseSpring Product Features
If you are using 'Features' on your products, instead of entering the Product code, enter Product code:Feature code in the SKU field. The app will add that feature when fulfilling orders.
*NOTE: To use multiple features, please see our Advanced Features page.
Locating Product and Feature codes in LicenseSpring
Login to your LicenseSpring Dashboard and look for the following:
Click on a Product and select 'Features' to see the 'Feature code', which can be used during fulfillment:
- Under the section for ‘Shipping’, be sure to uncheck the option ‘This is a physical product’:
STEP 4 – Configure Checkout
We will setup the store for automatic fulfillment.
- In Shopify Admin, navigate to 'Settings -> Checkout'.
- In the section 'Order processing', under 'After an order has been paid', select 'Automatically fulfill the order's line items'.
STEP 5 – Enter a Test Order
Now we will enter a test order to test the fulfillment process.
- Navigate to your external customer-facing Online Store.
- Add the product you configured in STEP 3 to your cart. Select at least quantity of 1.
- Complete the checkout process using an email address of your choice.
STEP 6 - Fulfillment
We can now watch the app complete the fulfillment.
- In Shopify Admin, navigate to 'Orders' and click on the order you just entered.
- In the 'Timeline' section, you should see the following occur within 5-10 minutes:
- In addition, the item should be marked as Fulfilled, and in the tracking number section you will see the license key (or keys) generated by LicenseSpring*:
*NOTE: If your LicenseSpring product is configured for 'User' authorization, the app will authorize that email address as the 'license user' for that product. LicenseSpring can be configured to generate an email when this occurs.
If you are interested in using advanced features, such as license upgrades, trial versions, or multiple product features, please see our Advanced Features guide for more information.